Facing life with a smile!

Facing life with a smile!
Click on my photo to go to http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Susan-Grigor/Products

Thursday, September 22, 2011

E38 On Being Perfect

As a teacher, I have been accused of expecting perfection of myself and of my students.  Well, I do belive in striving for perfction, but I don't expect to achieve it, not in this life, and not every time.

I do expect a student to be willing to try again to improve.  I have found that my habit is a three-step learning process: 1) I make a mistake.  2) I make it again, remember having done it before, and tell myself not to do it again. 3) Catch myself in the error before I make it again. (I hope.) 

But I am not surprised that I make mistakes the first times I try a new or difficult activity.  And I am not surprised that a student makes mistakes on new material or skills. 

As with physical skills such as are needed for playing sports or playing a musical instrument, writing skills require practice and repetition because writing is not as easy as speaking.  Remember that a score of 80% marks mastery of a skill.  Strive for 100% and you may hit 80%, but settling for 50% will not allow you to move with grace and freedom on the 'court' of written communication.

Check this out:
http://www.delanceyplace.com/view_archives.php?1781

No comments:

Post a Comment